One component, LED curable system for high performance bonding, sealing, coating and encapsulation
- Meets USP Class VI and ISO 10993-5 cytotoxicity requirement
- Fast curing upon exposure to appropriate LED light source
- Resists a variety of sterilization methods
- Fully cures tack-free without any oxygen inhibition
- Cures in sections up to and beyond 1/8 inch thick
- Outstanding optical clarity and excellent light transmission
Master Bond LED403Med is a very special, one part LED system that cures fully upon exposure to a 405 nm wavelength light that is generated by an LED source and where the presence of any UV light is minimal or incidental. In fact, this unique material will fully cure tack-free without any oxygen inhibition. This breakthrough technology allows LED403Med to be utilized not only as an adhesive, but as a sealant, coating and encapsulation system. This innovative formulation can cure in sections up to and beyond 1/8 inch thick upon exposure to the LED light. Since it is a LED curable system, it is intrinsically safer than one requiring UV light for polymerization, as LED light emitting sources are generally considered to be less hazardous and more user friendly than their comparable UV light sources. Master Bond LED403Med requires no mixing and will cure rapidly, with the speed of cure dependent upon the intensity of the light, the thickness of the layer and the distance of the light source from the material being cured. Realistically, the light intensity should be 1-4 watts/cm2. Master Bond strongly advises end users to consult with their LED provider to ascertain the best LED for their particular application, along with details on the wavelengths being emitted by the light source. In thinner sections, full cures can be achieved in 15-30 seconds (sometimes less than that), while thicker sections require longer cure times. Once cured, LED403Med has excellent dimensional stability, superb electrical insulation properties and very good chemical resistance to water, many acids, bases and oils. LED403Med resists sterilization methods, including gamma radiation, EtO and various chemical sterilants. It also bonds well to glass, polycarbonates and acrylics, along with other plastics and metals. This system has excellent optical clarity and light transmission properties, with a very slight amber tint. Prior to cure, it has a high viscosity consistency, but it remains flowable. Additionally, the formulation is solvent free. LED403Med fully passes the plastics test for USP Class VI biocompatibility and ISO 10993-5 cytotoxicity requirements.
- One component system requires no mixing and is ready to use as supplied
- Requires LED light source emitting light at 405 nm wavelength; no UV light required
- Widely used in the manufacture of disposable medical devices
- Exceptional physical properties; high viscosity
- Very good dimensional stability; lower shrinkage upon cure
- High bond strength with superior adhesion to surface treated metals, glass and many plastics
LED403Med is available is various sizes and units to accommodate customer's needs.