Master Bond offers an extensive line of stress absorbing adhesives with low modulus of elasticity and superior elongation properties. The special properties of these products allow them to dissipate stress and prevent cracking and fractures even in fragile materials.
Applications of Master Bond’s Low Stress Compounds
Master Bond's low stress adhesives are primarily used in optical, electro-optical, electronic, fiber-optic and photonic applications. These products are required when there is a large discrepancy between the thermal expansion coefficients of different materials, which can lead to cracking and delaminating when the materials are subjected to thermal cycling.
It is important to note that the length, width, thickness of the bond plays a key role in predicting/assessing the magnitude/distribution of stress. Adhesive selection criteria should include geometry of bond, operational conditions, temperature excursion limits, cure/processing time, handling considerations, adherence to specific substrate materials such as silicon, silver, nickel, invar, glass, aluminum, copper, fused quartz. Systems have been developed by Master Bond to resolve stress management issues even in confined spaces to ensure reliable device/assembly performance. Most noticeable has been their contribution in enabling electronic manufacturing companies to fabricate smaller, lighter weight products with increased processing power, functionality, durability. Step curing for select grades is recommended to alleviate residual stress concerns. These formulations have been designed to keep pace with the rapid changing technological needs of industry.
Properties of Master Bond’s Stress Dissipating Adhesive Systems
Master Bond’s low stress compounds adhere to metals, glass, ceramics, rubbers and most plastics. Specific grades offer:
- Low shrinkage
- Low outgassing
- Humidity and chemical resistance
- Resistance to vibration, impact and shock
- Resistance to thermal cycling
- Electrical insulation
- Thermal conductivity
- Electrical conductivity
- Thermal stability
Most Popular Low Stress Adhesives, Sealants, Coatings and Potting/Encapsulation Compounds
- Super Gel 9AO
- Shore A hardness 20-30. Low exotherm. Dimensional stability. Impressive thermal conductivity. Superior electrical insulation properties. Room temperature curing.
- MasterSil 151
- Two component, low viscosity silicone compound. Used for high performance casting, potting and encapsulation of solar cells.
- One component, high viscosity, no mix system. Highly flexible. Outstanding abrasion resistance. Meets USP Class VI requirements.
- UV curable urethane elastomer system. High flexibility. Elongation over 260%. One component, no mix system. Volume resistivity >1012 ohm-cm. Fast curing.