A customer is working on a bonding application involving small quartz elements wherein a fast set up and cure is critical. The other parameter is that the cured adhesive needs to be optically clear.
Finding the Answers
- What are the configurations of the parts? What are the bonding areas?
- Would the bonding areas have 100% accessibility to UV (~ 365 nm) or LED (~ 405 nm) light for curing?
- What are the operating temperatures?
- Would the adhesive be in the optical path? If so, would there be specific transmission and refractive index needs that have to be met?
- What are the requirements for the pot life and the cure time?
Based on the answers to the above questions and making certain assumptions, we recommended a few options to consider. They were: EP30-4, UV24TKLO and LED401LV.
EP30-4 is an optically clear, low viscosity, two component room temperature curing epoxy system. It sets up and cures quickly at room temperature.
UV24TKLO and LED401LV are optically clear, moderate viscosity systems. The assumption made here would be that the application areas are accessible to UV (~ 365 nm) and LED (~ 405 nm) light respectively. Also, UV24TKLO meets NASA low outgassing standards.
In certain applications where the optical clarity of the product is not critical, some other products which can be used are two part epoxy systems EP65HT-1 and EP51M; one component EP17HT-3 and one part silicone system MasterSil 711.
Summary of Products
|Product||Viscosity||NASA Low Outgassing Approved||Optically Clear||Cure Mechanisms||Typical Set Up Times|
|UV24TKLO||Moderate||Yes||Yes||UV light (~365 nm)||Seconds|
|LED401LV||Moderate||No||Yes||LED light (~405 nm)||Seconds|
|MasterSil 711||Moderate||No||No||Room temp (moisture cure)||Minutes|
Meet Our Tech Expert: Michael Wollman
Michael Wollman analyzes application oriented issues and provides solutions in a variety of industries. He has over 30 years experience managing various production facilities, and has a vast understanding of the proper use of adhesives in manufacturing.